OneNote is one of the oldest note-taking apps in the world. Microsoft unveils OneNote on November 19, 2003. Till then, this note-taking app was used by millions. As a result, this note-taking app becomes popular. But, from time to time there are many modern note-taking apps came out. Users are finding a good OneNote alternative.
I have experienced most of the note-taking apps in the world, including OneNote. So, I decide to make a post OneNote alternative 2021. This list post does not only help you find some amazing note-taking apps alternative to OneNote but helps me to rethink note-taking apps.
In this list, most of them are free to use or have a free plan. Some of them are OneNote free alternatives, Some need paid plan to use full features. Those note-taking apps are the best OneNote alternative out there.
- Some Benefits Of OneNote:
- Best OneNote Alternative 2021:
- Here Are Details About Alternative To OneNote:
- 1. Evernote: The Best OneNote Alternative In The Market:
- 2. Nimbus Note: The Best Evernote Alternative in 2021:
- 3. Notion: The Modern All In One Note-Taking Apps:
- 4. Obsidian: Most Advanced Note-Taking App:
- 5. Notejoy: Make You Joy When Taking Notes:
- 6. Roam Research: The Idea Connector Note-Taking App:
- 7. Simplenote: The Simplest OneNote Alternative:
- 8. Notability: The Best OneNote Alternative Handwriting Note-Taking App:
- 9. Google Keep: The Best Mobile Based Note-Taking App:
- 10. UpNote: The Most Underrated Rocking Star:
- 11. Notesnook: The Most Secure Note-Taking App In The World:
- My Final Verdic About OneNote Alternative:
Some Benefits Of OneNote:
Yes, OneNote is one of the oldest note-taking apps in the world. This note-taking app was created by Microsoft. Till then it is using by millions of users around the world.
Reason To Choose OneNote:
- Very Stable Desktop App.
- A Lot Of Options For Them Who Use Drawing A Lot.
- Phone App Is Dam Good.
- A Good Writing And Editing Platform.
- Tabed Note-Taking System.
- Comes With MS Office Bandile.
Best OneNote Alternative 2021:
There are many note-taking apps in the market alternative to OneNote. But, the truth is, all of them are not true OneNote alternative according to features and user base. Here is a list of the 11 best OneNote alternatives out there.
- Nimbus Note.
- Roam Research.
- Google Keep.
Here Are Details About Alternative To OneNote:
The list above is a birds-eye view of the OneNote alternative. Now, it is time to talk details about those amazing OneNote alternative note-taking apps.
1. Evernote: The Best OneNote Alternative In The Market:
Evernote is one of the most used note-taking app in the world. Many people, as well as lawyers and law firms, use this note-taking app for a long period. There are some reasons behind the huge user base of Evernote. Let’s see the best pros of Evernote.
1.1. Some Amazing Features Of Evernote:
- Cleanest User Interface I Have Ever Saw.
- Easy To Take Notes. It Is So Easy That Your Grand Mother Can take Notes Without Any Problem.
- Strong Search features. You Can Search Texts In Image Too.
- Strong Security.
- Quick Cross Devices Sync.
- Many New Features Included In 2021.
- Strongest OCR Capability.
- Strong Tag Support.
- Best For Handwriting Note-Taking.
- Quick Picture Note-Taking In Mobile Devices.
- One Of the Best Note-Taking App For Mobile.
1.2. Some Cons Of Evernote:
- You Cannot Use Offline Mode In Free Plan.
- Free Plan Is Limited For Two Devices Sync Only.
- No Markdown Editor.
- No Bi-directional Linking Notes.
- Not Enough Export Options.
- Evernote Price Is Confusing.
It is hard to choose a better one between the two most used note-taking apps. I recommend Evernote over OneNote for the features they offer. As a lawyer, I strongly recommend Evernote Over OneNote for good reasons.
2. Nimbus Note: The Best Evernote Alternative in 2021:
Nimbus Note is an Evernote clone and one of the best Evernote alternatives out there. It has all features of Evernote, OneNote, and some unique features of modern-day note-taking. There are many reasons to choose Nimbus note over OneNote.
2.1. Reason To Choose Nimbus Note Over Evernote:
- Markdown Editor(Cannot Create Table).
- Focus Mode.
- Web Clipper (Better Than Evernote). This Is A Evernote Alternative Web Clipper.
- Auto Sync Cross Device.
- Offline Note-Taking And Editing (No Need A Pro Plan).
- Attach Any Types Of File.
- OCR Capability.
- Block Note Taking like Notion.
- Export File To PDF And HTML.
- Nimbus Web For Access Your Notes From Anywhere.
- Better iOS And Android App.
- Good Table Creation And Editing Features.
- Focus Mode.
2.2. Poor Features Of Nimbus Note:
- No Bi-directional Liking.
- Free Version Is Limited.
As a lawyer, I always recommend Nimbus note to every lawyer. This note-taking app has more tools than OneNote. You should try this note-taking app now.
3. Notion: The Modern All In One Note-Taking Apps:
Notion is a Swiss army knife note-taking app. It has the ability to do virtually everything within Notion app. Notion is one of the fastest-growing note-taking app in the world.
Many people love Notion for its simplicity and for doing every kind of work in it. So, there are no limitations in Notion. You can do anything you want.
Notion in the number 3 because it is not like OneNote. There are tons of features than OneNote in Notion. So, think big, grow big, and do big with the magical help of Notion.
3.1. Reason To Choose Notion Over OneNote:
- Notion Is Free With Its Every Features But For 4 Team Members. Enough For Personal Use.
- Notion Is One Of The Most Secure Not-Taking App In The World.
- This App Is A All In One App. You Can Do Anything You Want. You can use as a note-taking system, your case management system, file management system, accounting software for your firm. As a result, you can save a huge amount of money just using Notion.
- You can use notion as your personal wiki, personal knowledge base.
- Your Accounting Software Replacement.
- Notion Has One Of The Best Web Clipper In The Market.
- You Can Export Your Notes Into PDF, HTML, Markdown With CSV In Notion.
3.2. Poor Features Of Notion:
- Notion App For Every Platform Are Not Good Enough. All Apps Are Web App. No Offline Mode.
- Notion Has Learning Carves.
- No OCR Capability For Images.
I like Notion from my heart. Many lawyers in the world are shifting to Notion. Not only lawyers but all kind of note-taking apps user are shifting to Notion because it has a wide range of features.
4. Obsidian: Most Advanced Note-Taking App:
Obsidian is not an old note-taking app like OneNote but like Roam Research. As a result, this app has superior power to OneNote. This app will be your second brain with your notes.
Modern-day note-taking apps have provided so many features. Obsidian provides all the modern features with extra features. As a result, what you need to take your notes, Obsidian will provide you.
4.1. Reason To Choose Obsidian:
- Full Markdown Text Editor.
- Bi-directional Linking Notes.
- Organize Your Note Using Tags.
- Voice Note-Taking.
- Insert Any Kind Of Media.
- Zettelkasten Note-Taking.
- Huge Core And Third-party Plugins.
- Huge Core And Third-party CSS Themes.
- Your Second Brain.
- Stronger Search Feature.
- Block Style Note-Taking.
- Block Bi-directional Linking.
- Fully Local File Storage.
- Most Secure Note-Taking App Out There.
- You can replace your traditional writing app like MS Word, LibreOffice, etc.
4.2. Poor Features Of Obsidian:
- Very Young Platform.
- No WYSIWYG Features.
If you want to learn something new and better, then Obsidian is the right choice for you. I learn this app in only three days. You can learn this app in less time. Learn this app and enjoy the freedom of taking notes and feel the power of Obsidian.
5. Notejoy: Make You Joy When Taking Notes:
Notejoy is another Evernote-like note-taking app. This app fantastically looks and feels like Evernote. I used this app for one month, and this app is very good at note-taking.
Notejoy provides you every Evernote, and OneNote features with some modern features too. There are many reasons to use Notejoy instead of OneNote.
If you are a lawyer like me, then you may face many problems in OneNote. This is the proper time to find a OneNote alternative for your notes. Maybe, Notejoy can fulfill all of your needs as a note-taking app OneNote alternative.
5.1. Reason To Choose Notejoy Over OneNote:
- Bi-directional Linking Note-Taking Made Easy.
- Good And Speedy Web Clipper.
- Markdown Editor (No Support For Creating Tables).
- Trallo, Google Drive, ect. Can Be Easily Integrate.
- Clean UI (Same As Evernote).
- Focus Mode.
5.2. Poor Features Of Notejoy:
- No Table Creation.
- Some Markdown Features Do Not Work.
If you are a lawyer and become a slave of OneNote, then choice this note-taking app. Notejoy has same user interface and features of Evernote, and OneNote with competitive price. So, you can switch to Notejoy easily.
6. Roam Research: The Idea Connector Note-Taking App:
Roam Research is an Obsidian Style note-taking app. This app has the most features Obsidian has. Roam Research is popular among researchers around the world. This app has a large user base.
This note-taking app is gained popularity from mind 2020. Till now, this amazing note-taking app earns respect and love from many users around the world.
6.1. Reason To Choose Roam Research:
- Taking Notes Is So Easy With Bullet Journal Note-Taking.
- Make Your Research SImple.
- Bi-directional Note-Taking System Make Your Effort More Useful To You.
- Insert PDF, Image,Videos Without Hassle.
- Encrypt Your Classified Texts.
- Organize Your To-Do List Easily.
- Your Favorite Calculator.
- Latex Make Your Writing Beautiful.
- Best Way To Use Kanban Board.
- Draw Diagram In Simplest Way.
- Pomodoro Timer For Time Tracking.
- Drawing Picture, No Problem.
6.2. Poor Features Of Roam Research:
- Free Version Only Work With Roam Research Desktop App And No Sync To Cloud.
- Pricing Is Little Bit Higher.
- No Mobile App.
- Learning Curve.
Can I consider Roam Research as a OneNote alternative? Yes, this note-taking app is the best OneNote alternative for researchers, programmers, etc. I strongly recommend this fantastic note-taking app alternative to OneNote.
7. Simplenote: The Simplest OneNote Alternative:
Simplenote is one of the cleanest and easiest note-taking apps for professionals. There are some pros and cons of Simplenote. Let’s discuss pros and cons of this note-taking app.
Simplenote is the cleanest and free OneNote alternative in the world. This note-taking app is one of its kind. It has not enough features but some features that are very good for everyday use. Here are some top pros of this app.
7.1. Reason To Choose Simplenote Over OneNote:
- The Creators Of WordPress Created Simplenote.
- App For Every OS In The World.
- Most Secure Note-Taking App.
- Sync Cross Devices Instantly.
- Markdown Editor.
- Totally Free Application.
7.2. Poor Features Of Simplenote:
- No Bi-Directional Linking.
- Team Note-Taking has not enough features.
- No Way Of Attaching Files.
- No Good Option To Import Notes Form Other Note-Taking Apps.
If you want to take notes in the simplest ways, then, Simplenote is the best option for you. Lawyers love simplicity. Lawyers can take advantage of this note-taking app.
8. Notability: The Best OneNote Alternative Handwriting Note-Taking App:
Notability is not the same note-taking app in the list. This is the one note-taking app that can take your note-taking concept to another level.
Do you love to take handwriting notes using a digital pen? Notability is the ultimate note-taking app for handwriting note-taking.
8.1. Some Amazing Features Of Notability:
- Many Ways Of Taking Notes Like Handwriting, Photos And Typing.
- Strong Sketching Tools.
- You can Add And Annotate PDFs.
- Good For Scale, Rotate, And Recolor Your Ideas And Sketches.
- Good Zooming Features.
- Strong Shearing Options Through Google Drive, AirDrop, Email and Dropbox.
8.2. Some Bad Side Of Notability:
- This Amazing Note-Taking App Is Only Ableavle Only In Mac EcoSystem.
- Pricing Is Little High.
If you are a Mac Or iOS user, then this is the ultimate note-taking app for you. One thing I can tell you is that this note-taking app is one of the best OneNote altenative for Mac. Notability is the must-have app for note-takers. This is the OneNote alternative handwriting app for you.
9. Google Keep: The Best Mobile Based Note-Taking App:
Google Keep is the most mobile-friendly note-taking app on this list. Can you imagine google is giving you a product that has only a mobile app no a computer app?
Google Keep is one of the best note-taking mobile apps. This app has many features which you can enjoy on your mobile.
9.1. Reason To Choose Google Keep:
- You can take notes by typing, taking pictures, by drawing, etc.
- You can add to-do lists, bullet list, reminder in your notes.
- PIn Your Note At The Top.
- An Absolutely Free App.
- Organize Your Notes With Tags.
- Fantastic Full Feature OCR Option.
- Colorful Note-Taking.
9.2. Poor Features Of Google Keep:
- No Desktop App.
- For Import Or Export Notes Is Not Easy.
- No Audio Note-Taking Option.
- No Templates.
I am using Google Keep when this app was first launched. I have too many notes in this app. Like me, you will love this app for mobile use. If you are a primary note-taker using your mobile, then this app should your first choice.
10. UpNote: The Most Underrated Rocking Star:
This is a new note-taking app like Roam Research. This is an elegant-looking and feature-rich note-taking app for Windows and Mac. Once you use this app you become a fan of this note-taking app. Why UpNote is so aesthetic to use. Because its UI is so beautiful.
10.1 Some Amazing Features Of UpNote:
- Bi-directional Linking Notes.
- Markdown Editor.
- True Focus Mode.
- Secure Note-Taking.
- Export your notes to Text, PDF, HTML or Markdown.
- Beautiful Themes and Dark Mode.
- Automatically syncs across all your devices.
- Offline Note-Taking.
- Better Note Management.
- Beautiful User Interface.
- Good To-Do List Support.
10.2 Some Negative Side Of UpNote:
- Free version is limited on 50 notes.
- No Web Clipper.
- Creating Table Is Ableavle in Pro Version.
- File Insert Is Possible In Pro Version Only.
UpNote is a better Roam Research alternative. I strongly recommend this beautiful-looking note-taking app for lawyers and law firms. This app is so feature-rich that you can easily do your all kind of note-taking, To-Dos, Word Processor alternative.
11. Notesnook: The Most Secure Note-Taking App In The World:
Notesnook is a security-focused note-taking app. Security is the main sailing point of this note-taking app. This note-taking app has all the features of Evernote, OneNote and has the most secure note-taking features in the world as far as I know.
11.1. Reason To Choose Notesnook:
- 100% end-to-end encrypted.
- No Ads.
- Tracking Is Not Possible.
- No Data Mining.
- Free end-to-end encrypted notes syncing.
- Private notes vault.
- On device encryption.
- Free password protected notes sharing.
- Free end-to-end encrypted notes syncing.
- Sync With Unlimited Devices.
- Work Offline.
- Export To PDF, HTML, Markdown, etc.
- Import Notes From Any Note-Taking App.
11.2. Poor Features Of Notesnook:
- No Unlimited Storage In Free Version.
- No Unlimited Attachments In Free Version.
- Automatic syncing In Only Pro Version.
- Full rich text editor + markdown support Only In Pro Version.
Notesnook is one of the most secure note-taking app in the world. You can get every Evernote feature in this app. This note-taking app is the best choice for Lawyers, Law firms, Journalists, Governments, and Business personals for its end-to-end security.
My Final Verdic About OneNote Alternative:
OneNote is a good note-taking app. You can use this note-taking app. But, many people finding alternative to OneNote these days. Let me help you to choose the best OneNote alternative.
If you are normal note-takers then, Evernote, Nimbus note, Notejoy, Notesnook, Google Keep, Notion, and Simplenote.
Obsidian, Roam Research, Notejoy, and UpNote are the best options if you love OneNote markdown alternative and bi-directional linking note.
Notability, Evernote for them who want OneNote handwriting alternative.
If you want a fully free OneNote alternative then, Google Keep, Simplenote, Obsidian is the right choice.
There are many note-taking apps out there. You can choose Evernote, Obsidian, Nimbus note, Notejoy, Roam Research, Notability, and many more. Among them, Evernote is the best replacement for OneNote.