Most of the readers of this article know about what is Evernote. Basically, Evernote is one of the most used note-taking apps in the Universe. But, many of the Evernote users are finding the Best Free Evernote Alternative. Now, the question is Why People Are Searching Evernote Free Alternative?
- Reasons To Leave Evernote:
- Unique List Of Best Free Eevernote Alternative:
- 1. Simplenote: The Simplest Evernote Markdown Alternative:
- 2. OneNote: The Grand Daddy Of Note-Taking App:
- 3. Obsidian: Most Advanced Note-Taking App:
- 5. Google Keep: The Best Mobile Based Note-Taking App:
- 6. Typora: A Destruction Free Writer And Note-Taking App:
- 7. Dynalist: Simple But Powerful Note-Taking App:
- 8. Zettlr: A True Zettelkasten Note-Taking And Writing App:
- My Final Though About Best Free Evernote Alternative:
Reasons To Leave Evernote:
There are many reasons users are leaving Evernote now. I will give you so many reasons to leave Evernote below.
- Evernote quite to bring some amazing feature for users. Although, they are bringing some features in recent day but, those features are not enough.
- Many modern note-taking apps come with tons of features and their price is lower than Evernote. As a result, many Evernote users are adopting new note-taking apps.
- There are so many note-taking app in the market with more features. Most of them offer users a good free plan, which is better than Evernote pricing.
- Evernote do not support Markdown support. This day’s many people like me love a modern and quick writing platform with Markdown support. But, Evernote cannot see Markdown is a good feature for them.
- Bi-directional Linking Notes not supports in Evernote. Bi-directional liking notes is an unique way to make connection between notes. Many note-taking apps like Roam Research, Obsidian, Notejoy, RemNote, Zettlr, Workflowy, Dynalist, Mem Notes, etc note-taking apps use bi-directional liking notes.
Unique List Of Best Free Eevernote Alternative:
Here is a small list of Evernote free alternative. I hope you will love those free Evernote alternatives in this list.
- Google Keep.
1. Simplenote: The Simplest Evernote Markdown Alternative:
Simplenote is one of the cleanest and easiest note-taking apps for professionals. There are some pros and cons of Simplenote. Let’s discuss the pros and cons of this note-taking app.
Simplenote is the cleanest and free Evernote alternative in the world. This note-taking app is one of its kind. It has not enough features but some features that are very good for everyday use. Here are some top pros of this app.
1.1. Reason To Choose Simplenote Over Evernote:
- The Creators Of WordPress Created Simplenote.
- App For Every OS In The World.
- One Of The Most Secure Note-Taking App.
- Sync Cross Devices Instantly.
- Markdown Editor.
- Totally Free Application.
1.2. Poor Features Of Simplenote:
- No Bi-Directional Linking.
- Team Note-Taking Is Not Easy.
- You cannot clip websites or articles because there is no Web clipper.
- No Way Of Attaching Files.
- To Import Notes Form Other Note-Taking Apps Is Quite Hard.
If you want to take notes in the simplest ways, then, Simplenote is the best option for you. Lawyers love simplicity. Lawyers can take advantage of this note-taking app.
2. OneNote: The Grand Daddy Of Note-Taking App:
Yes, OneNote is one of the oldest note-taking apps in the world. This note-taking app was created by Microsoft. Till then it is using by millions of users around the world.
I strongly recommend this note-taking app on the top because it has one of the best security protocols for note-takers. Secondly, I love its simplicity and clean design.
2.1. Reason To Choose OneNote:
- Very Stable Desktop App.
- A Lot Of Options For Them Who Use Drawing A Lot.
- Phone App Is Dam Good.
- A Good Writing And Editing Platform.
- Tabed Note-Taking System.
- Comes With MS Office Bandile.
- Amazing Web Clipper.
2.2. Poor Features Of OneNote:
- Often Not Sync To The Cloud.
- Bi-Directional Link Between Notes is not possible in OneNote.
- No Markdown Editor.
- No Templates For Quick Work.
- Exporting Notes Is Painful And Limited.
- Shearing Note Is Difficult.
OneNote is a good platform to take notes. This app is suitable for people who do not have enough time to learn something new and who takes notes by using a digital pen.
3. Obsidian: Most Advanced Note-Taking App:
Obsidian is not an old note-taking app like Evernote but like Roam Research. As a result, this app has superior power to Evernote. This app will be your second brain with your notes.
Modern-day note-taking apps have provided so many features. Obsidian provides all the modern features with extra features. As a result, what you need to take your notes, Obsidian will provide you.
3.1. Reason To Choose Obsidian:
- Full Markdown Text Editor.
- Bi-directional Linking Notes.
- Organize Your Note Using Tags.
- Voice Note-Taking.
- Insert Any Kind Of Media.
- Zettelkasten Note-Taking.
- Huge Core And Third-party Plugins.
- Huge Core And Third-party CSS Themes.
- Your Second Brain.
- Stronger Search Feature.
- Block Style Note-Taking.
- Block Bi-directional Linking.
- Fully Local File Storage.
- Most Secure Note-Taking App Out There.
- You can replace your traditional writing app like MS Word, LibreOffice, etc.
- Full Free To Use.
3.2. Poor Features Of Obsidian:
- Very Young Platform.
- No WYSIWYG Features.
- No Native Web Clipper ( You Can Clip Via Third-Party Extension).
- If you want to learn something new and better, then Obsidian is the right choice for you. I learn this app in only three days. You can learn this app in less time. Learn this app and enjoy the freedom of taking notes using Markdown editor and feel the power of Obsidian.
4. Notion: The Modern All In One Note-Taking Apps:
Notion is a Swiss army knife note-taking app. It has the ability to do virtually everything within notion app. Notion is one of the fastest-growing note-taking app in the world.
Many people love Notion for it’s simplicity and for doing every kind of work in it. So, there are no limitations in Notion. You can do anything you want.
Notion is not like Evernote, Simplenote, Obsidian, OneNote or another note-taking app. This note-taking app provides all the combined features of the most modern and best note-taking apps.
There are tons of features than Evenote in Notion. So, think big, grow big, and do big with the magical help of Notion. This note-taking app is a better alternative to Markdown Evernote.
4.1. Reason To Choose Notion:
- Notion Is Free With Its Every Features But For 4 Team Members. Enough For Personal Use.
- Notion Is One Of The Most Secure Not-Taking App In The World.
- This App Is A All In One App. You Can Do Anything You Want. You can use as a note-taking system, your case management system, file management system, accounting software for your firm. As a result you can save a huge amount of money just using Notion.
- You can use notion as your personal wiki, personal knowledge base.
- Your Accounting Software Replacement.
- Notion Has One Of The Best Web Clipper In The Market.
- You Can Export Your Notes Into PDF, HTML, Markdown With CSV In Notion.
4.2. Poor Features Of Notion:
- Notion App For Every Platform Are Not Good Enough. All Apps Are Web App. No Offline Mode.
- Notion Has Learning Carves.
- No OCR Capability For Images.
I like Notion from my heart. Many lawyers in the world are shifting to Notion. Not only lawyers but all kind of note-taking apps user are shifting to Notion because of its wide range of features.
5. Google Keep: The Best Mobile Based Note-Taking App:
Google Keep is the most mobile-friendly note-taking app on this list. Can you imagine, Google is giving you a product that has only a mobile app, no computer app.
Google Keep is one of the best note-taking mobile app. This app has many features which you can enjoy on your mobile.
5.1. Reason To Choose Google Keep:
- You can take notes by typing, taking pictures, by drawing, etc.
- You can add to-do lists, bullet list, reminder in your notes.
- PIn Your Note At The Top.
- An Absolutely Free App.
- Organize Your Notes With Tags.
- Fantastic Full Feature OCR Option.
- Colorful Note-Taking.
5.2. Poor Features Of Google Keep:
- No Desktop App.
- Options For Import Or Export Notes in Google Keep Is quite hard.
- No Audio Note-Taking Option.
- No Templates.
I am using Google Keep when this app was first launched. I love this app for mobile use. If you are a primary note-taker using your mobile, then this app should your first choice.
6. Typora: A Destruction Free Writer And Note-Taking App:
Typora is a Markdown-powered simple note-taking app. This simple app was made for only one purpose, Fast note-taking, and writing.
This note-taking app is so simple and feature-rich that your writing and note-taking become quicker and easier. I used this note-taking app for two years. After my testing, I become more pleasing with the app.
6.1. Reason To Choose Typora:
- Full Markdown Editor.
- What You See Is What You Mean
- File Saved In Markdown Format.
- Full Free To Use.
- Distractions Free Writing Environment.
- Word Counter.
- Lots Of Themes.
- Has Template Gallery.
- Secure To Use.
- Lite App.
- Clean Interface.
- Many Export Options Like PDF, HTML, .md (You Can Export Other File Format By Using PanDoc).
- Best For Writing And Quick Note-Taking.
- App For Mac, Windows And Linux.
6.2. Features I Do Not Like In Typora:
- No Sync Option.
- Typora has no Web Clipper.
- No Mobile App.
- Still In Beta Stage.
Typora is an elegant note-taking app for free. It has not enough features than Obsidian and Evernote, but, this app is made for quick note-takers and Distractions Free Writing Environment. If you write a lot every day, Typora is one of the best options for you.
I love this app for its simple design and quick writing method. When you start using Typora you become a fan of this amazing app.
7. Dynalist: Simple But Powerful Note-Taking App:
This amazing note-taking app is a bullet journal note-taking app. This app has some good features of Workflowy and Obsidian. This app can be your go-to note-taking app.
7.1. Reason To Choose Dynalist:
- Add dates and filter by date and time.
- Convert any list to a checklist.
- Sync dates in Dynalist to your Google Calendar.
- Managing repeating tasks made easy.
- Go to any file or bookmark within keystrokes.
- Manipulate multiple items at once.
- Bookmark anything for super fast access.
- Tags For Quickly group and filter items.
- Cross linking Or Bi-directional Linking.
- Markdown Supports bold, italics, code, image, links, and LaTeX.
- Color-code anything.
- Number your items for easy counting.
- Good Collaboration Features.
- Visitors don’t have to sign up to see your lists.
- Upload files up to 50 MB in size.
- Export to OPML, plain text, or formatted text.
- See past changes to a document and restore any version.
- Get daily backups sent to Dropbox or Google Drive.
- Access and work on your stuff even when offline.
- Override the default shortcuts.
- Access extra options and rearrange the mobile toolbar.
- Choose from Dark, Sepia, Sci-Fi, Sakura, etc. All themes are free!.
- Custom the CSS across all platforms.
- No Limit Of Taking Notes In Free Version.
- Web Clipping.
7.2. Poor Features Of Dynalist:
- No Google Calendar Integration In Free Version.
- Tag Pen In Pro Version only.
- No Recurring Dates In Free Version.
- Image And File Attachment In Pro Version only.
- No Daily Cloud Drive Backup In Free Version.
- Custom Shortcuts For Pro Version.
- No Custom Mobile Toolbar In Free Version.
- Free Version do not let you use Custom CSS.
I love Dynalist for its good marketing strategy. They keep all the core features for free just charge for the advanced users. This note-taking app is good enough for lawyers and law firms as well as normal note-takers.
8. Zettlr: A True Zettelkasten Note-Taking And Writing App:
Zettlr is a Markdown based Zettelkasten note-taking app. This app is a refreshing note-taking app. This was my first app where I write and learn Markdown. So, I have a special love for this note-taking app. Believe me, you will also love this app.
8.1. Some Amazing Features Of Zettlr:
- Full Markdown Editor.
- Clean User Interface.
- Bi-directional Linking Notes.
- Zettelkasten Note-Taking.
- Pandoc and LaTeX Support.
- Reference Manager Like Zotero, CSL-JSON, etc Supports. As A Result You Can Write Books, Articles, etc, easily.
- Wide Varity Of File Exporting Option.
- Distruction Free More, Night Mode, Typewriter Mode, etc Out Of The Box.
- Strong Tag Manager.
- Strongest Heatmap Search for better search.
8.2. Some Cons Of Zettlr:
- No Live Preview Option.
- You Cannot Use Two Or More Windows In A Same Time. You Have To Work With Only One Window.
- No Graph View option.
- It is not easy to insert images, files, PDF in Zettlr.
- No Mobile App.
- No Meaningful Web Clipper.
I like Zettlr a lot. There are so many reasons for that. The Markdown editor of Zettlr is amazing. I write two of my Scholarly Articles in Zettlr. It is amazing. Book writers, lawyers should use this amazing note-taking app instead of Evernote.
My Final Though About Best Free Evernote Alternative:
Evernote free alternatives are as good as Evernote. This app has a free plan. But the problem is that it is very limited and most of the features are not included in Evernote free plan. As a result, users are finding some solutions.
I was also a hardcore Evernote user. But, I leave Evernote just for Markdown, Bi-directional linking notes, and a limited Evernote free plan. It does not mean Evernote is not a good note-taking app. Evernote is a good note-taking app for normal note-takers and people who can afford the pro pan.
Recently Evernote revised its all plan. But, the truth is they have destroyed again their free plan and as well as pro plans. Now, they have three pro plans. But, many users are not liking this move. You can easily use those features Evernote introduced in recent days in those free Evernote alternative apps.
If You Know Any Evernote Free Alternative, Then, Please Let Me Know In The Comment Box.